BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Saludos desde Miami!

March 11, 2011 P.M.



I tried to put the fact that I was assigned one of the last blog posts in the back of my mind because I knew that it would be a sad time. Before I did not know of the sweet memories and experiences I would make with the other spring breakers, I imagined that it would be difficult to let go of the city alone. Though tonight we had one last group meeting and without a doubt my heart stung from the discussion and the pang that tomorrow would be the last chance of sun. Everyone shared funny moments and offered J.W. feedback from the trip and I could not help through the laughs and giggles to feel myself with the urge to tear up. While we were all very tired and sweaty from the hard day’s work at the site, I looked around and noted how many beautiful people I was surrounded by. Each person surprised me in many ways over the course of the week. One freshman, Rebecca is a quirky and fun and overall wonderful person who shared with the group that after spending time with everyone, who she called outgoing, that she would now too try to break her shell and be just as open to new experiences. When I have the opportunity to witness realizations like this are times when I find the most joy out of mentorship and community service. She heard a simple phrase like, “I’m going to talk to everybody today” and then vowed to make a change to her life after the alternative spring break trip. Instances like this are truly special and were only magnified throughout the course of the week.





Room 420 became the cafeteria as we had the most space available for the group to pack lunches and we did not attest to the company of those delectable goodies one bit. As I lay in the hotel room with my other three roommates fast asleep I am tempted to take a little nibble out of the mountainous snack pile in front of me. Though the one o’ clock in the morning clock time and my growing thighs from a week of gelato goodness in my belly, I think I will instead cry myself to sleep. Tomorrow we will pack up, say goodbye to the Rodeway Inn and its lovely patrons and leave this place of sunshine at least for this period of time and I’m not ready to let go.

I truly believe this group of people was put together for a reason. I contacted J.W. in January in hopes of becoming part of the mini-getaway. After talking to a few people and hearing that they had applied in the fall, I felt extremely lucky to have been accepted. While a position was only open because some students for whatever reason weren’t able travel, from then on I began to realize and cherish the necessity of our mission. We helped people in need, we had the chance to re-evaluate and reprioritize our own lives and we created a special bond with fellow Point Park comrades. Working with these inspirational people and Habitat for Humanity allowed for me to grow and become a better sister, friend, student and person. I couldn’t have had a better experience at this time in my life.

As our Southwest Airlines plane will take off and begin to pierce the skyline, we leave with two questions: with all of the insight and inspiration discovered in Miami, where do we take all of our ideas and thirst for volunteerism? And who is responsible for not giving us the heads up that gold teeth are “in” amongst the Miami locals? Someone is in trouble.
I want to say thank you to the Habitat community and to the alternative spring break 2011 participants, let’s make tomorrow as memorable as ever!

--Shaquela Myrick

0 comments: