BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Injuries and celebrations

March 10, 2011 P.M.

I am having such an amazing time in Miami. This is my first time in Florida and I have never been somewhere so beautiful. Today was our third day working for Habitat for Humanity of Greater Miami and I participated on Quartisha’s home. We painted all of her house with two coats of white and it looked wonderful. It was so rewarding to read her message on the door about her story and realize that I am truly making a difference in this person’s life to own a house of her own.

When we ate lunch it stormed so badly. It was unbelievable how quickly the rain came and then how fast it cleared up. I usually don’t care for storms in Pittsburgh but it was interesting to witness a Miami storm. We all sat in the van conveniently during lunchtime and ate while we waited for it to clear up. After it finally did, we went back to the home and finished painting the second coat of paint. With an effort of students between us and Wake Forest University, we finished the task incredibly early.

The funniest moment of the day had to have been when Shay and I were playing on a really big tree in the front of the home. It looked like a tree from Disney’s “Tarzan” and we decided, “Oh, let’s try to swing on the vine!” So Shay went first and as soon as she swung the vine broke and she landed straight on her bottom. She was fine and not hurt, but we couldn’t stop laughing.





After we finished painting for the day, we went back to the hotel and got ready for the Habitat BBQ at a local church. It was so generous of the church workers to prepare a meal for all of the Habitat students. We played a game, prayed, ate and talked about some of our tasks. This year is the first year that Habitat of Greater Miami is sponsored. The generous sponsor is the Bank of America, and they donated gifts to us which were hats and bracelets.





I can’t believe that tomorrow is our last day at the worksite and we are returning home so soon. This will definitely be something that I will remember for the rest of my life, and I’m sure that the friends I made I will keep in touch with back on campus. I hope to spread the word and inspire others to help with the Habitat project and to one day be able to volunteer again.

--Alicia Lyons

0 comments: