BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Realizations

March 9, 2011 P.M.


I have wanted to go on alternative spring break trip or other volunteer mission for years, but it was always too expensive. I’m really grateful that the opportunity is finally available at Point Park. The experience is everything I have expected and more so far. I expected to work very hard in the heat. I expected to work in teams with new people from all over. I expected to do what I like to call “vent compassion.” The “gratification” or whatever it is we get from helping others, I don’t think that’s it. I think I have been watching Haiti and Katrina and global poverty on television, waiting for the day I can finally do something about it.



I can’t decide what is harder: hammer and nailing or carrying around heavy hurricane shutters, but the latter was more tiring. The work we did apparently could earn the store $10,000, because so many people need them before hurricane season. The concept of the re-store is to provide low cost items and use the proceeds to build houses. They recycle what they can’t sell. So it’s good in several ways.



The part about this trip I didn’t really expect was it to feel like a vacation outside of working, but it’s well organized to facilitate lots of fun. I’ve failed twice in the past to really go snorkeling, and I consider finally pulling it off an accomplishment. There was so much sea life to see: coral reef, fish of all colors and, luckily, a sea turtle. That made getting in the water worth it for me. It came so close. I think one day, I will have to grow the balls to go scuba diving. Hopefully, if I get to live my dream of working in documentary television, I will learn to operate an underwater camera.

I can’t get over how lucky I am to do this. To come and learn about a new city, as well as help out one of its neighborhoods. To visit and to make a difference in peoples’ lives-FINALLY!

--Angela Semple

0 comments: